We have commissioned an energy audit and strategy, designed to help us understand options, costs, and timelines – and make detailed plans under priorities one and two. This will cover:
- Insulation, replacing windows and doors, reducing air leakage, reducing solar gain
- Replacing old lighting with LEDs, provision of mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, energy efficient pumps, fans, heating and cooling systems etc.
- Opportunities top switch from fossil fuel heating and hot water generation to high efficiency heat pumps
- Water reduction by utilising controls and low flow fittings
We have set clear targets for each priority
Specific reduction targets associated with each are set out below.
Beyond the initiatives identified above, we will also:
- Continue to engage across the College community to identify, assess, trial and adopt quick wins that help to eliminate or reduce emissions across all scopes
- Work with our Investment Advisory Committee and others to understand our options for targeting and encouraging lower carbon investment profiles
- Ensure all new building projects are designed and implemented with as low a carbon footprint as possible – both for construction and ongoing management purposes
What we are working on
The Governing Body is currently considering, and approving, policy and strategy relating to the outlined sustainability goals. Individual members are taking the lead on particular areas. They are supported by the Sustainability Forum and the Governing Body Working Group, through discussion, review, and sharing ideas, and are also having a continued dialogue with other areas of the Collegiate University, to promote best practice and collaboration.
What needs to happen next
One of our main priorities is to promote and harness member engagement, ensuring support for implementation, with individual members leading on key activities. We are looking to drive behavioural change in areas including waste, transport and consumption.
We are also looking to develop a practical Biodiversity Strategy, and are currently considering options, and establishing plans.
Finally, we shall continue to refine our policies, targets and priorities to reflect the current context.