Hertford College Music Society (HCMS) is the largest and most active college music society in Oxford, with a reputation for being dynamic, inclusive and friendly.
The society was formed in 1972, at which time it consisted of the Choir and the Orchestra. Since then, the society has grown substantially with the formation of the Wind Band in 2011 and the Jazz Band in 2012. With four ensembles, HCMS holds weekly lunchtime recitals in Chapel, termly concerts all over Oxford, as well as the popular ‘Jazz & Cocktail’ nights. The Choir tours twice a year, most recently in Ireland and Italy.
The college supports the basic activity of HCMS, but the society relies on donations for its more ambitious projects and to improve the quality if its performance and programming. Charges for termly concerts are kept low to encourage attendance, but the costs of putting on a performance – from purchasing the music to hiring instruments – can quickly mount up.
- A new piano for the music practice room would cost £3,000 - £10,000
- £1,500 would fund a new concert series, with recitals from prestigious musicians
- £1,000 would finance 10 choral training workshops
- £500 for musical scores would allow the music society to perform new music and concerts more regularly
- £250 would fund a choral award for singing lessons. Thanks to a donation we currently offer 8 a year, but hope to increase this to 16
- £100 would purchase 6 professional music stands
Find out more about HCMS
Further reading: college life
Back to Support Hertford