The University’s graduate admissions web pages are now available, including the online application form. Division and Department websites will provide subject specific information.
Once you have been offered a place by the University you will be asked to provide confirmation of funding, by way of a Financial Guarantee. Check the University have provided information regarding this.
Once a graduate applicant has been accepted by a University department, finding a college is usually relatively straightforward. However, the later a prospective graduate student applies, the fewer colleges will still be accepting applications. Hertford welcomes applications for most post-graduate degrees including BCL, and second BA.
Graduate admissions selection criteria
- Applicants must first have been accepted by a department or faculty of the University of Oxford before any college or permanent private hall may consider them.
- Applications are considered for any of the courses in which the college offers admission. Please consult the following list to see the subjects to which the college admits: Oxford University Graduate Admissions
- Applications are usually considered by academic staff in the relevant subject area.
- Preference will normally be given to applicants whose area of study overlaps with the academic interests of the college’s academic staff.
- The college aims to admit a certain number of graduate students each year spread across the range of subjects in which it accepts graduate students, and this will determine the number of offers which can be made to applicants. Where there are more applicants than offers which can be made, the relative academic merit and potential of the applicants may be taken into account. It may not be possible to make offers to applicants whose applications are received late in the admissions round, when places are full.
- The possession of competitively-won funding may be taken into account as an indicator of the applicant’s academic merit and potential.
- The final decision on whether to offer a place in the light of the overall competition for graduate places and the spread of those places across subject areas is usually taken by the Tutor for Graduates.
- Please note that any offer of a place will be subject to satisfactory completion of the financial declaration form that will be sent to the applicant as part of the offer of a place. Please consult the University’s Graduate Admissions guidance for more details.
- Preference may be given to current or past students of the college who meet the selection criteria described above.