Questions about welfare

What do I do if I feel unwell?

  1. Ring the Porters' Lodge (79400) and tell them what the problem is. This service is available 24-hours a day. All porters are first-aid trained and can arrange for you to contact the Nurse or a doctor, or organise an ambulance.

  2. Ring the College Nurse (79401) during her working hours to ask for advice or a visit.

  3. Attend one of the “open surgeries” in the College Nurse’s office. (Hours)

  4. Always tell a friend who lives near you in college that you are ill in case your illness becomes more serious.

How can I avoid catching colds or ‘flu?

There is no 100%-effective answer but here are some simple tips.

  1. Wash your hands frequently and/or use the anti- bacterial/viral gel that is located around college. Viruses are transmitted by sneezing, coughing and from touching hard surfaces. It is particularly important to clean your hands before eating meals.

  2. Carry tissues and dispose of them carefully.

  3. Cough into a tissue and dispose of it carefully.

  4. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

  5. If you do catch flu, go to bed, tell friends you are unwell and inform the Porters Lodge and/or Nurse.

When should I get travel vaccinations?

Most travel vaccinations need to be given 6-8 weeks before travel to be effective.

If you are travelling in the summer arrange your vaccinations in Hilary term or at the start of Trinity term.

See the College Nurse for advice on specific vaccinations for different countries.

What should I do if I am feeling anxious?

Firstly, this is not uncommon so please talk to someone about how you are feeling. The nurse, the welfare coordinator, chaplain and peer supporters will be happy to listen to you and to provide advice if that seems appropriate. There are lots of support services available in college and in the university. The University Counselling Service runs workshops which are aimed at helping students overcome various issues and they can offer individual counselling if that is what you would prefer. Although it can be hard to ask for help, it is often the first step in regaining a sense of control and well being. Your confidentiality will be respected.

Should I tell my tutor if I am experiencing personal problems?

Your tutor is primarily available for academic teaching. However, if you are experiencing problems at home or in college, it is a good idea to talk them through with someone. Speak to a member of the welfare team or a peer supporter. These consultations are confidential. The person with whom you speak may suggest that you tell your tutor in order that they know that your work may be affected and are aware that you are seeking support.