The College Archives contain the records created by Hart Hall, Magdalen Hall and Hertford College.
Today's Hertford College is the successor of two medieval halls of the University of Oxford - Hart Hall and Magdalen Hall - and a previous ‘Hertford College’ which existed from 1740-1816. Hart Hall was originally established around the 1280s as an academic hall for students studying at the University. It carried on in this form until 1740 when Principal Richard Newton re-formed Hart Hall as an independent College. This first Hertford College was not successful and closed in 1816. In 1822 Magdalen Hall, another independent academic hall, moved to the site of the old college. Magdalen Hall remained until 1874, when it was incorporated by Act of Parliament as Hertford College. The new college still occupied the site of its medieval predecessor, Hart Hall. By the 1920s the College had substantially remodelled and expanded its buildings under the guidance of architect Sir Thomas Jackson, who designed the famous bridge over New College Lane which connects the Old and New Quads. Notable alumni include John Donne who was a member of Hart Hall, William Tyndale and Thomas Hobbes, members of Magdalen Hall and Evelyn Waugh who matriculated at Hertford College in 1922.
Please note that Magdalen Hall is a separate institution from Magdalen College. If you have an enquiry relating to Magdalen College, please go to http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/libraries-and-archives for further information.
See our College History pages for further information on Hertford College and its Alumni.