Booking an Event
Looking to hold an event at Hertford College? We can help.
Club & Society Events
With so many things to do while at Oxford, there are unsurprisingly a huge number of clubs and society events taking place throughout the academic year. Hertford is always keen to help a team, cast, society, of group of friends celebrate a special event with us, either as a private dinner or on a dedicated table in hall.
If you are thinking about holding an event or dinner with us, please book early: demand is high throughout the year, and at peak times (partiularly in Trinity term) there can be lengthy waiting lists for dining events.
For all enquiries relating to club and society events in college, please contact the Catering Services Manager, Antony Barrett.
Old Member (Alumni) Events
Old members of the college are always welcome and encouraged to contact us for any events or dinners that they might wish to hold at Hertford. Again, we would ask that all initial enquiries be made to the Catering Services Manager, Antony Barrett. For assistance in contacting old friends and contemporaries, please contact the Alumni & Development Office.
Private & Corporate Events
We welcome enquiries from businesses and organisations for private events and dinners at the college. However, our private dining rooms are comparatively small, and due to college and conference commitments, we regrettably cannot ordinarily cater to large groups during term time and much of the high conference season. Please contact us if you have a particular date in mind: advanced booking is strongly recommended as early as possible.
Weddings and other Events
For more details on planning a wedding at Hertford College, or to make an enquiry, please contact the Chaplain, the Reverend Mia Smith. Please see the information page on getting married in Hertford College Chapel.
Planning an event
Before you call or email with a booking enquiry, it is particularly useful for us if you can please:
- Have a particular date in mind: or if you're unsure of an exact date, please have a range of feasible dates available.
- Have a set number of attendees, or a close estimate. This will allow us to determine easily if we have a venue suitable to host your event.
- Have a clear idea of the sort of event that you would like to hold: details such as the number of meal courses, the provision of drinks, or even an outline itinerary is invaluable in helping us provide an estimate and deliver upon your expectations.
- Have a list of dietary requirements, where known. This is particularly useful for us, as we may have to modify our menus (or even our methods of cooking) in order to satisfy the particular dietary needs of your group. Where we can help, we will always try.
- Have a working budget in mind, as we will always make every effort to accommodate your needs. (That said, if the sky's the limit, then please let us know: the chefs love to showcase their skills!).
- Have payment details available: it is highly desirable for the college in confirming events to be able to liaise with a single payee, as this allows for a clear invoicing process. Corporate customers may be asked to provide us with a purchase order number, and/or details of their respective accounts departments. Academic departments, faculties, and other non-college organisations within the university will also be asked to provide us with a purchase order number before confirmation of any event booking can be made. Private customers may also be asked to provide a deposit for events.